For instruction on using the addon, see the documentation section on the BlenderMarket here
What is GeoSim?
GeoSim is an add-on which allows the creation of photorealistic, realtime, customizable planets in a matter of seconds. Combined with a robust and easy to use shader nodegroup, GeoSim is a must-have for any 3D artist looking to create space/sci-fi scenes.
- Physically Based Volumetric Rendering
Using a multitude of advanced techniques, GeoSim can create photorealistic planetary atmospheres at a much higher quality and speed than Cycles or Eevee. Attributes such as density, thickness, and color can all be controlled with in the GeoSim shader.
- Image-based Clouds
In order to add an extra layer of realism, GeoSim includes real-time, shadow-casting clouds. Just plug in your image/procedural texture and the shader will automatically convert it into semi-3D, volumetric clouds.
- Full Texture Support
GeoSim comes fully equipped to handle all required textures, including albedo, roughness, specular, normal, and emission. All image textures can be accessed easily through
a separate nodegroup, allowing them to be modified at any
Calamity | a Blender short film made using GeoSim
Current Limitations/Things to note
-The planet surface does not react to light sources other than the main GeoSim sun
-Objects cannot cast shadows or illuminate GeoSim planets
Most of these will likely be fixed in future updates!
*All future updates will be accessible to anyone who currently owns the product.
- New "Surface" section in GeoSim Nodegroup.
- Added the ability to disable emission maps on areas of the planet that are in daylight, for use with city lights textures.
- Normal map strength is now controlled outside of the shader.
- 33% decrease in render times due to optimizations and bugfixes.
- The camera may now fly inside of the atmosphere.
- Normal mapping and cloud coloring bugs fixed.
- Massive UI and documentation overhaul.
- Support for terrain displacement and self shadowing
- Clouds are much more photorealistic.
- Various bug-fixes and optimizations.
- Support for Blender 3.0.
- Added "Color Separation" and "Ambient Light" sliders for better control of the atmosphere.
- Added a separate downloadable file called "Textures" containing 2k, 4k, 8k, and 16k earth textures, courtesy of NASA
- Indirect lighting added.
- Clouds can now cast shadows on the atmosphere.
- New "sharpness" control for clouds.
- Specular reflections now use the GGX reflection model.
- Atmosphere now supports mie scattering.
- Parallax displacement optimized.
- New strength control for emissive textures.
- Orthographic view now supported
- Depth of field now supported
- Planets now cast accurate tinted shadows